Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Pinterest Try: Homemade Dog Treats


Recently, I tried a recipe for peanut butter dog treats that I had pinned on Pinterest. These were super easy and called for just a few regular pantry ingredients.

I tweaked the recipe slightly for better dough consistency but can't remember now what I did. I'll take notes next time and then update this post. It was either more flour or more water. ;-)

I keep the treats in a freezer container and thaw a handful every so often. When thawed, I put them in the "doggy treat" jar. I don't want them to mold before we can use them! So far I've had good success with the treats staying fresh in the jar for up to about 10 days. None have molded yet.

Rock loves these treats and they are so simple to make!

Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats from Life Your Way

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon powdered milk
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 3-4 tablespoons water
Directions:
Combine peanut butter, egg, salt, powdered milk and flour. Add water one tablespoon at a time until you have a doughy texture. It should be easy to form but not sticky.
Roll out dough to 1/4″ thickness and cut out with a cookie cutter. Re-roll scraps and repeat.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.

Enjoy!
 


1 comment:

Monica Wilkinson said...

Years ago when we had our dog, I used to do this too! Great idea to put some in the freezer, I never thought of that at the time and did have a few get moldy. Also, I'm so glad you shared your adoption page as I was just recently wondering how things were going with that journey!