Friday, February 22, 2013

Owl Babies

Have you read the book Owl Babies?

It's a delightful tale of three little owls--Sarah, Percy and Bill-- who wake up one night to find their owl mother gone. They wonder where she is and have a joyous reunion when she returns.

A good friend of mine, who happens to be a retired kindergarten teacher, recommended Owl Babies for the toddlers a few years ago. Every little one that I've read this book to has absolutely loved it.

I don't yet own my own copy but we get it from the library. We actually have it in the house right now and Toddler Girl and Toddler Boy can't get enough!

I remembered pinning this stuffed owl  and this owl bag a while back and I had the crazy thought yesterday to make some owl babies for the little ones using these two sources.

There wasn't a tutorial that I could find for the stuffed owls so I drew an owl shape freehand.  My drawing skills aren't the best so my shape wasn't at all symmetrical and perfect and the owls look a bit wonky in certain areas.

The little ones don't seem to mind though!

Owls were made from some thrifted fabric (green), an old pair of pj pants (pink) and an old shirt (plaid). Scraps and heat and bond were used for the eyes and beaks. I also stitched around the facial features so they would be more durable for washing.

This was such a relaxing project -- I just cut and sewed and mixed and matched fabrics to my heart's content. There was no pressure to be perfect. My only objectives were to create something fun for the little ones and enjoy the creative process!

So it is my pleasure to introduce to you...

Sarah, Percy and Bill!

We have had so much fun with our owl babies today. Using them as props for the story and just playing with them! T.G. and T.B. really like stuffed animals and dolls so it's my hope to gain more practice in creating a few other stuffed animals and dolls over time.



4 comments:

Rhonda said...

I'm going to look for this book and of course I want to make some owls too.

Anne said...

Oh, wow, Mary Ann, you are so creative! How wonderful! And you could definitely sell those in your etsy shop. :)
Thanks again for being such an inspiration,
Anne

Debbie J said...

How Sweet! I love them. dgs is 5 1/2. Wonder if he is too old for that book? I will definitely keep it and these owl baby dolls in mind for the newest dgs who is only a month old and the grand child to be born in August.

You did a good job Mary Ann.

~katie~ said...

Adorable!!! So creative and intentional ~ what a treat for the little ones! Love it. Reminds me of my Grandma Tootie. She LOVED owls, and all of her grandchildren and great grandchildren received one of her owls from her collection. ♥ She would've loved this.

Blessings~
Katie