Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mending

Today I sat down and did some mending.

I sewed a button on some pants and fixed the handle that was coming loose on a tote bag.

I had this shirt I purchased at a thrift store last summer. I really liked the shirt but after wearing it a couple of times, I noticed the neckline was a little lower than I cared for.

Since I'm super high-tech and cool and all--hahahaha--my first thought was to discreetly safety pin the placket together right above the top button so that it wasn't quite so low.

But instead, I remembered there was an extra button on the inside tag so I simply added another buttonhole to the shirt and sewed the button on.

Of course, it took me only a couple of months to get around to this project which took me less than 10 minutes to complete!

I've only known how to make buttonholes for a couple of years now and it is a handy little skill! Although, I don't know if it could be called a skill, since my sewing machine does all the work. But it's a good thing to know how to do.

Sometimes it's tempting to forgo the fixing and mending and just get rid of the item and buy another one. But I feel that a big part of frugality is taking good care of what you do have. If it's worth fixing and repairing, then repair it and keep using it! Doing this helps to slow the buying cycle and saves money in the long run.

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

You know I mend. I recently fixed a too low neck by adding a strip of navy blue lace. And what is it with necklines anymore? so many of them are just too low.

Wendi said...

Great job! I have been cleaning out the mending basket and it feels so good. I actually have a post on mending scheduled for next week. Great minds think alike!

gail said...

i actually enjoy mending ... when i get around to doing it! like you, i tend to leave things lying around for awhile before tackling a quick job. why do i procrastinate so?