Friday, June 01, 2012

Green Beans With Bacon And Mushrooms

I discovered this recipe for green beans a few years ago in Southern Living magazine. We love it and eat it often! Of course, green beans are one of our favorite vegetables!

Depending on what I have on hand, sometimes I make it without the bacon or mushrooms. But I always include the green beans! :-) It is especially good with both the bacon and mushrooms!

I'll share my adaptation of the recipe with you today.

Green Beans With Bacon and Mushrooms

1 pound green beans, fresh or frozen
3-4 slices bacon, nitrate and nitrite free if possible
About a cup of sliced mushrooms--I have used different varieties and all are good, although we especially like Baby Bellas.
1/4 cup diced onion
Salt and pepper
Crushed red pepper flakes, optional

Cook bacon in skillet until crisp, reserving some of the bacon grease. Crumble cooked bacon.

Meanwhile, steam the green beans until crisp-tender.

Using reserved bacon grease, saute onions and mushrooms in skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When soft, add green beans and bacon, stirring to combine. Let cook together for a few minutes until everything is hot. Add salt and pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste.

**Sometimes I'll cook the beans and bacon ahead of time and then add everything together right before serving. This works really well for a company meal!

Enjoy!


1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I would like those green beans too.

how is the move going? I am very happy for you/