Monday, February 07, 2011

Oatmeal Add-ins

**Originally posted in 2006 on my old cooking blog.

These ideas help to spruce up a plain old dish of oatmeal. I found this list in one of my favorite cookbooks. My own favorite is peanut butter and chocolate chips!

Stir any of the following into oatmeal:

sugar
cinnamon and sugar
brown sugar
margarine
molasses
maple syrup
jam or jelly
plain or fruit yogurt
honey
dark brown sugar and one drop of maple extract
applesauce
chopped apples
dried apples
raisins
berries
bananas
chopped peaches
wheat germ

From the cookbook Not Just Beans by Tawra Kellam.

I highly recommend this cookbook which is now renamed Dining On A Dime. (Her website is worth checking out, too!)

1 comment:

Nikki said...

My kids LOVE oatmeal. Sometimes I forget how flexible it can be and I get into the same ole' same ole' of brown sugar and raisins. I think I'll mix it up a bit this week.