Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Favorites

We just returned home yesterday from a wonderful Christmas visit with my husband's sister and her family in Lexington, Kentucky. We had planned to travel home on Sunday but because of winter weather, we postponed our drive home until Tuesday when the temperatures were just a bit higher. It turned out to be a wise decision as the majority of our drive was through the mountains and by yesterday, all but one stretch in Western North Carolina, was completely clear.

We all enjoyed the extra time spent together.  Kentucky, of course, had a white Christmas which is not unusual for them. Playing in the snow was fun and so was thrift shopping with my SIL as well as going out to eat at Culver's on Christmas Eve. Their children are so much fun and it was especially fun to witness their excitement on Christmas morning!

They were awake by 5:30 am and therefore, so were the rest of us! Our 7 year old nephew crept down the stairs with the flashlight at 6am telling us that it was time to get up! Then as he went back up he whispered apologetically, "I'm so sorry to disturb your sleeping!" So funny!

We were quite blessed with gifts this year and at the risk of appearing materialistic, I thought I'd share a few of my favorites! You'll probably notice right away that I love practical gifts!

Three boxes of canning jars from my husband's parents. This may be a not-so-subtle hint for future gifts for them. :-)

A cookbook from my parents. The recipes look wonderful!

A beautiful 'M' necklace from my husband.

A photo calendar of my nieces and nephews. They have given everyone in the family one of these since the kids were babies and we look forward to this gift every year!

A new game from my SIL. It is so much fun!

A much needed  kitchen rug from my husband.

A fancy-schmancy digital kitchen timer from my husband. Again, much needed as the one I was using was quite temperamental and would quit working on a whim. Not good when baking!

How was your Christmas? What were some of your favorite moments or gifts?

No comments: