Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Spices Of My Life


While cleaning my kitchen cabinet and purging spices, I made a list of those herbs and spices we use most often.

Our favorites:

1) cinnamon
2) nutmeg
3) ginger
4) cumin
5) red pepper flakes
6) chili powder
7) paprika
8) salt
9) pepper
10) basil
11) oregano
12) thyme
13) garlic powder
14) minced onion
15) bay leaves
16) curry powder
17) dill weed

We also like lots of garlic! I mostly use fresh garlic at the present time, so it didn't make the list but it is one of our favorite flavors!

Some spices I only use when I make pickles such as turmeric and mustard seeds.  Ground cloves and sage are two more  that I only use periodically but often enough to keep. I put these spices in the freezer to keep them fresh.

Some that I threw out because I never use them and they were old:
  • dried rosemary
  • tarragon leaves
  • coriander
  • seasoning salt
What are your favorite spices and herbs? Please share!


3 comments:

DarcyLee said...

I have all the spices that you have except seasoning salt. But, I, too, love fresh garlic. It's so good!

sheena said...

that's a really awesome post.



- sheena

gail said...

i'm a pepper person myself. i use it with almost everything! except sweet stuff. love cinnamon and nutmeg, ginger and cloves, not so much. i like lemon peel and have also found orange peel. i use alot of garlic, minced onions, chili pwdr, cumin and oregano. great question and post