Wednesday, May 27, 2009

In-Season Recipe Swap: Rhubarb Dumplings

When I saw that the theme for this week's In Season Recipe Swap was rhubarb, I knew I had to share the recipe for rhubarb dumplings.

Even better, I had to make a batch so that I'd have a picture to post. Yum!

This is a family favorite from when I was a child. Mom would often make these sweet-tart rhubarb dumplings throughout the spring and summer when rhubarb was in season. Now when we visit, Mom will usually make these for a special treat!

Where I live now, I don't come across rhubarb often. So it's a treat when I do find some. Last summer, I was fortunate to find rhubarb at a local produce stand. Hopefully, I'll get some more this year!

This recipe is good with either fresh or frozen rhubarb. I used frozen from last summer's find for this particular batch.

This is good served warm with milk or cream or can be eaten cold for breakfast the next day!

Rhubarb Dumplings

Dumplings:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 T. shortening(I use butter.)
7/8 cup milk

Filling:
Soft margarine or butter
1/2 cup sugar
nutmeg
2 cups chopped rhubarb

Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and shortening. Add milk. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured surface.

Spread with margarine, sugar and rhubarb. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Roll up. Cut into approx. 9 pieces and place in greased 9-inch square (or round) pan.

Make Sweet Sauce and pour over unbaked rolls:

In saucepan mix:

1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
dash of nutmeg

Stirring often over medium-high heat, bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Pour over unbaked rolls.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Makes approximately 9 servings.

**Note: If pan is pretty full place on or over a larger baking pan when baking to catch drips.

Hope you enjoy this family favorite!

**To view more recipes featuring rhubarb, visit the In-Season Recipe Swap at Tammy's Recipes!

5 comments:

Tammy L said...

Thank you so much for participating! I have never heard of rhubarb dumplings, but they sound and look yummy! Thanks for sharing!! :D

Kathryn said...

I'll take some! Those look delish! I might have a new craving....

Donna said...

Looks wonderful! yummmy!

Elizabeth said...

They look delicious. Thankyou for sharing the recipe Mary Ann.

gail said...

how fun! i had never thot of dumplings. i was given some rhubarb just this morning and have been planning what i can make with it. i think a pie is in order in our household.