Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Stocking For Rock


Alternate Title: The Rocking.

Andy and I both have fleece stockings that I made for us the first Christmas that we were married.

Then, we went to Wal-mart and spent a considerable amount of time picking out the right fleece and embellishments. They were/are a simple design. Just sew around the edge, then blanket stitch with crochet thread. I added pom-pom fringe for me and a green ribbon on Andy's.

Fast forward a couple of years and we have a 3rd family member to prepare a stocking for--our sweet dog. I mentioned a stocking and Andy wasn't too sure at first. Then he said that would be fine if I made one instead of buying one that would be more expensive.

I have definitely grown in frugality since that first Christmas. I didn't even buy fleece. Or bother with purchased embellishments. The leftover thrifted red fleece blanket used to back one of these blankets worked perfectly. A brown scrap of felt and a bone-shaped cookies cutter provided the cute bone applique.

I positioned the pattern against the edge of the blanket to take advantage of pre-done blanket stitch for the cuff of the stocking. Then I used the same white crochet thread for the outside of the stocking as what was done on ours. Except for the hand-sewing, this stocking was completed in about 10 minutes flat!

**I still would like to embroider all of our names on our respective stockings.

Rock probably won't care about the stocking. But it looks cute to us and makes us happy.

He will like the bag of treats that will be inside come Christmas morning, though!

2 comments:

Lines From The Vine said...

Very cute!!

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

Tracy

gail said...

back in the day ...
we would get gifts and treats for our spoiled dog. i don't think we ever had a stocking for her, but we would buy stockings that were stuffed with doggy treats. good memories.

thanks for sharing about rock.