Thursday, February 01, 2007

Healthy Food-Raisin Spice Cookies



I finally got up the courage to try my first sweet baked goods with all whole food ingredients. I prayed a lot while deciding on a recipe to try as well as during the whole process. I don't know why I was so nervous about this-maybe I'm afraid one bad experience will send us back to wanting all junk food again, I don't know.:-) It is dangerous territory to mess with one's favorite sweet treats.:-)

I decided to go with a recipe that already called for healthy ingredients and wait until I am more comfortable with using these ingredients to change some of our favorite recipes. I chose a Snickerdoodles recipe which looking back was kind of a silly decision, since the sucanat I was using for the sweetener is so dark, there was absolutely no way I could pass a dark colored cookie off as a snickerdoodle or sugar cookie that is traditionally white or very light-colored.:-)

The recipe already called for cinnamon and since the sucanat has a more molasses-type flavor, I added a handful of raisins and a small amount of ginger and re-named them as Raisin Spice Cookies. Although a fragile cookie, they taste really quite good-not too sweet. My husband likes them.:-) (Yes, he knows what's in them too. We try to be upfront and honest about those things around here.)

I chose this recipe from the little booklet, Healthy Cookies. Next time, I will probably try something with honey as the sweetener and hopefully, I'll start to get a feel on what ingredients work the best for us.

I'm very thankful for God's help in this healthy cooking endeavor! This small success gives me confidence to go on to the next thing!

No comments: